A CROCK POT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE..LADIES DON'T FEEL GUILTY WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO COOK....MY KIDS ATE HAMBURGER 2 OUT OF FOUR DAYS LAST WEEK SO I DECIDED ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND MADE A ONE POT MEAL THAT I COULD THROW ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER ..PUT IT IN A CROCK POT ON LOW AND GO TO WORK AND BY THE TIME I GOT OFF THEY HAD A HOME COOKED MEAL....
HERE ARE 2 OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES
- 2 c. beef stock
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 lb. pot roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- Whisk together stock, flour, and mustard in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme; stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to slow cooker. Add tomato paste to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, 30 seconds; add to slow cooker.
- Discard thyme. Remove beef and shred with 2 forks; return to cooker. Stir in butter.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, on low heat 7 to 8 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve topped with parsley.
1lb Chicken Breast (cut into bite size pieces)
1lb Smoked Sausage (kielbasa, farmers sausage, garlic sausage, etc)
1lb Shrimp, raw and shells removed (I left tails on for more flavor)
1 Onion, diced
1 Green pepper, diced
1 Hot pepper, (jalapeno, serrano, scotch bonnet, habanero, etc) (optional!!!)
3 ribs Celery, diced
1 can Diced tomatoes (28 oz)
3 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Cups Chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Cajun spice (or more if you prefer
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Oregano
1 1/3 C Rice (cooked)
1. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, except for the shrimp and the rice.2. Cook on low for 6 – 7 hours, stirring occasionally3. In last hour of cooking, salt the shrimp lightly, and then add them to the crock pot4. In the last half hour of cooking, add the rice and stir. Replace cover. You want the rice just to warm through and take on some of the cooking flavors.5. Serve with crusty bread, and enjoy